Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Telecine Advice

  1. #1
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Okay so for my transfers I have a black
    transfer box and a mini-dv camera. I
    know I need to get a multi speed projector
    to improve on flicker but in the mean time
    Is there anything else that can be done?

    I do all my transfers at night in a dark
    room. I feel that gives the sharpest picture
    to transfer.

    Also if anyone has some links to mpgs of
    home transfered film that I could look at
    that would be helpful too. Just to see how
    other peoples transfers compare to mine.

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The sharpness may simply be that you have prevented glare from reaching your camera lens. I have an old topic post on this very topic, but it never made it over to the new Hostboard.

    Apparently, some ambient fill light can help reduce contrast a bit. Also, you can add a slight warming effect by not using pure black for he sides of your box. You may want to experiment with different colors of paper, particularly sand colored paper.

    Experiment with the shutter speed of your video camera. By the way, which video camera are you using?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well the box I use isn't one I made but a factory
    built model. My Grandpa bought it about 10 years
    ago to transfer his 8mm movies when he bought
    a camcorder. Its just a basic black box with
    a mirror in it.

    The DV camera I use is a friends I don't know
    much about the specs other than its a Sony. I
    will have to check into the shutter speed
    options on it. That sounds like that would
    improve things.

    Now about the ambient fill light. What would
    your reccomend? Just leaving a light on in
    the room or something more fancy?

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The key is to experiment. But don't experiment with new film, but something you have already transferred to your satisfaction.

    Transfer it again, and try different techniques. Talk out loud so the camera mike picks your voice, and verbalize what it is your are doing.

    As you change shutter speeds, verbalize what shutter speed you are using, etc. Try preset for the white balence, the try auto-white balance.

    I'll see if I can round up somebody else who has already experimented.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well I mixed things up last night and had some
    interesting results. Instead of using my
    transfer box, I just aimed the video camera at
    my projection screen. And adjusted the video
    shutter speed. The result was the best transfer
    yet. However this was for black and white film.

    For the only reel of K40 I have shot. I used the
    exact same set up and resulted in the flicker
    being quite noticable. However I was pressed
    for time and never tried to tweak it for the
    new reel. But it was interesting that B&W
    hides the flicker better. I will experiment
    more when I get more colour film to work with.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member wahiba's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    181
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My efforts with a fixed speed projector and a hi-8 camcorder can be seen on my site listed below.

    There are other problems to look out for besides flicker. Bulb bright spot from the projector can be a problem. This seems to be lessened by having the projector and camera at an angle to the screen. Get the angles exactly the same and it compensates out. There distances are too small to affect light. This seems to reduce bulb glare.

    Having the projector and camcorder side by side works better than a back projection system.

    Do not expect anything better than VHS quality, but of course you might be able to video at a higher resolution that 320 x 240, which is all my computer can live with.

    The flikcer seems to be a problem of 60Hz countries. Those of us with 50Hz, and a Hi-8 camcorder that will run at 1/50 seem to have fewer problems.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've tried many times with the basic projector and camcorder pointed at a wall. With a variable speed projector you can dial away the flicker easy enough. Biggest problem was always the "hot spot" and glare off the surface. I totally gave up on this method and I only recommend it for those who don't need or demand quality.

    I bought a bunch of Bonum reels from a guy on ebay once. Weeks later he emailed me out of the blue offering me a bunch more. I took them and he told me that he was done transferring all his 1970's family Super 8 films. He used the black box method to VHS. He then told me all the reels he sold me use to contain all the film. HE THREW AWAY 5000 FEET OF FILM. What a waste [img]graemlins/film.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I feel bad for the guy who threw out his home
    movies. I think everyone involved with this forum
    knows about how VHS degrades with time. Not to
    mention that the format may disappear in 10
    years. Maybe sooner.

    Some people just don't have a sense of the future.
    One of my motivations to get a new computer is
    back up 13 years worth of Hi-8 home movies onto
    mini-dv and cd-r, they are already breaking down.
    At the time we couldn't stand to watch those
    videos. Now its amazing stuff. One of my younger
    cousins first baby steps were caught on hi-8!

  9. #9
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by woods01:
    I feel bad for the guy who threw out his home
    movies. I think everyone involved with this forum
    knows about how VHS degrades with time. Not to
    mention that the format may disappear in 10
    years. Maybe sooner.
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    The thing that gets me is that all he will ever have now is the low resolution VHS copy (black box transfer no less). Even if he burned some dvds it will still be VHS quality.

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by woods01:
    Some people just don't have a sense of the future. One of my motivations to get a new computer is
    back up 13 years worth of Hi-8 home movies onto
    mini-dv and cd-r, they are already breaking down.
    At the time we couldn't stand to watch those
    videos. Now its amazing stuff. One of my younger
    cousins first baby steps were caught on hi-8!
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Me too. I bought a Sony GV-D200 digital 8 VTR and it plays the old 8mm/Hi8 tapes super clean and drop out free since with its built in TBC and with its firewire output your good to go with a NLE.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •